Tuesday 12 May 2009

Kai Spy WIth My Little Eye...

Howdy Partners,

I have just arrived in Kyoto and back to the Internet after two days in the ASO hills right at the southern tip of Japan. It was a really interesting & relaxing experience. Tucked in he middle of nowhere The Kai Resort mixes getting away from it all traditional Japanese guest houses with a twist of clean contemporary design.

I had a lovely time but they were serving Japanese food without even a hint of western influence which I am completely for – aside from if I am the person having to eat the eels in savoury custard at 8 in the morning, knowing you have to eat it as there is nowhere in a 30 mile radius that serves anything else. (I will do a separate post on food later…)


It amazes me how wherever I am you will always find someone who can understand English, no matter how remote you are – Except taxi drivers..

Now I may have just got a bad bunch, but the 3 I have had so far, not one had even the remotest clue what I was talking about or where the hell they were going. The driver to the resort stopped twice to ring god knows who but I assume the resort which meant we arrived an hour later then expected but to his credit, when we arrived he asked one of the staff how to say sorry in English an proceeded to repeat it over and over again.

On the return journey, the only way I can describe this guy was a male version of the old grandma from ‘Ferris Buellers Day Off’. He could barely see above the wheel and enjoyed overtaking lumber lorries on blind corners at 100km/h and when I tried to sign that I had plenty of time (tapping watch, giving thumbs up and a smile) he took it as that I was in a hurry and proceeded to speed up with a hint of fear in his eyes… Ok, maybe that was my bad….

Well that’s it from me at the mo, I am positively knackered and brassed off that the only English news channel the hotel TV has is being voiced over in Japanese (But is quite interesting having Huw Edwards with a female voice)

Apologies if there are any mistakes/poor wording, just got to the hotel and am knackered)

P.S. Awkward Family Photos - Brilliant
xx

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't you tell the Ferris Grandmother taxi driver that you were the King of Karaoke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried, but for some reason he didn't believe me...

    ReplyDelete